Vision statement and intent:
At Skelmanthorpe Academy, we believe that mathematics is an important life skill. Mathematics will be planned and delivered within the framework of the National Curriculum and the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum, together with our school policies for teaching and learning, assessment, special needs and equal opportunities. Our mathematics curriculum offers a broad range of experiences designed to provide pupils with the mathematical understanding, skills and knowledge needed to deal with everyday situations, learning in other areas of the curriculum and investigations within mathematics itself.
We believe that mathematics:
- is creative and enjoyable
- is a means of communicating information and ideas
- involves generalising about patterns and relationships
- should involve fluency to enable children to access concepts, make links, deepen understanding and achieve success • develops the skills of problem solving
- enables decision making, logical thinking and reasoning